Sunday, October 3, 2010

Lake Powell, Day 12. Oak Canyon to Iceberg Canyon

Monday, September 27, 2010

Got up about 6 a.m. to catch up on journal writing, it is still dark but I could hear fish jumping all over close to the boat. So I went out and cast a few times, but shortly was snagged on a fender line on Traveler! I could have gone on their swim step to retrieve it, but that would probably have awakened them, so I decided not to. Crap!

Everybody was up around 7 a.m., so I unsnagged my line and resumed fishing. The drought is over! I caught three nice small mouth bass much larger than the previous two casting from the bow! Gary Yamamoto lime green grubs pushed up over a big jig head, tied directly on the end of the line, no swivel and no sinkers. Now five fish total, averaged over my Utah fishing license, they are now down to $6 each! I tried filleting one, but my knife was too dull and I of course have no touch, so I turned the job over to Russ, who had them filleted in nothing flat.

We decided to head for Cha Canyon on the San Juan River Arm because a copy of a recent Wayne's Words posted at Dangling Rope Marina discussing the spotty fishing this year proclaimed the fishing at Cha Canyon "excellent." We never got there. Engine trouble bedeviled Traveler, a leaky hose causing overheating. Russ and Toni could see water spraying out in the engine compartment but could not see where it was coming from because the hose was in an inaccessible spot.

Traveler was able to run by adding about a gallon of water every five minutes. We cruised very slowly down to Iceberg Canyon, where we got a great spot. Best dinner yet, fresh small mouth bass with a squeeze of lemon that Patty cooked perfectly in butter. We finished up with another movie, Master and Commander, with Russell Crowe, which had a bit too much blood and gore for our tastes but still a good film.

OUT


No comments:

Post a Comment